Become a speech therapist

How to become a speech therapist in Hong Kong?

Local programmes

You can enroll in speech therapy related programmes including undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Hong Kong.

  1. The University of Hong Kong offers an undergraduate programme in Speech and Hearing Sciences. (link)
  2. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University offers a master programme of Speech Therapy. (link)
  3. The Education University of Hong Kong offers a master programme of Science in Educational Speech-Language Pathology and Learning Disabilities. (link
  4. The Chinese University of Hong Kong offers a master programme of Speech-Language Pathology. (link)

The admission requirements vary according to each university. 

Please refer to the website of Hong Kong Institute of Speech Therapists for the updated list of accredited programmes in Hong Kong (link).

Overseas programmes

Apart from local programmes, there are overseas courses ranging from 4-year undergraduate degrees to 2-year master degrees. Clinicians having certification of at least one of the following associations are qualified to be our full members.

  1. The Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP)
  2. The Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists United Kingdom (RCSLT)
  3. The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
  4. Speech Pathology Australia (SPA)
  5. New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists’ Association (NZSTA)
  6. Speech-language and Audiology Canada (SAC)

Updated in September 2020